How – To Make Fig Paste

I have only just gotten into the whole fruit paste on cheese idea. I have been under the impression that cheese alone was the most wonderful food on the planet. This fig paste, taught me otherwise. As well as being easy to make, it is really cheap. Well, cheap considering I have been paying $10.00 for 50grams of the stuff.

I managed to get a big punnet of ripe figs for $4.00 from the fruit shop and all I had to do was cut them into 1/4’s so that they could be blended. Don’t worry about the skin being left on. It gives the paste a great colour!

Ingredients

• 12 ripe figs, cut into 1/4’s
  • 450g jam setting sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice

1. Place figs, sugar and lemon juice into a mini food processor and pulse until the 2 are completely blended.

2. Place the mixture into a small saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves and you are left with a clearer, deeper coloured paste.

3. Allow to simmer over a low heat for 3 hours, stirring ocassionally.

4. Using 5 x small heat proof dishes, approximately 50ml capacity, spray with canola oil spray and then line with enough plastic wrap to wrap around the end result.

5. Pour the fig paste into the dishes until they are 2mm from the rim.

6. Fold the plastic wrap over the top of the paste and place the bowls into the refrigerator to set for 24 hours.

7. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Serve with various cheeses and good bread.

This entry was posted in How To, Sweet. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How – To Make Fig Paste

1. TBM says:

Figs seem to be popular in London and I don’t know if I’ve ever had one. Maybe I should try.

• foodmyfriend says:

They are an aquired taste, but once you make them into a paste, they are a very different fruit. It is a sweet, jam like texture that is really good on savouries!

2. Great post! Especially as (very serendipitously!) my next door, who are from the middle east, just has a new baby, and to celebrate, brought my family a huge basket of beautiful figs!
    Many thanks for the recipe!
    anne

3. Asmita says:

Love fig paste with cheese. So yummy!

4. Lianne says:

omgness. YUM! I loveeee figs! Could eat heaps at a time! hehe Gonna try this when it is back in season again! (:

5. kale says:

I love figs and it’s such a great addition to a platter of finger foods with red wine. Yum! ;)

6. Sara says:

OMG I’m so doing this! I love Figs and the paste is way too expe,sive.
    Thanks for the DIY