I have only just gotten into the whole fruit paste on cheese idea. I have been under the impression that cheese alone was the most wonderful food on the planet. This fig paste, taught me otherwise. As well as being easy to make, it is really cheap. Well, cheap considering I have been paying $10.00 for 50grams of the stuff.
I managed to get a big punnet of ripe figs for $4.00 from the fruit shop and all I had to do was cut them into 1/4′s so that they could be blended. Don’t worry about the skin being left on. It gives the paste a great colour!
1. Place figs, sugar and lemon juice into a mini food processor and pulse until the 2 are completely blended.
2. Place the mixture into a small saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves and you are left with a clearer, deeper coloured paste.
3. Allow to simmer over a low heat for 3 hours, stirring ocassionally.
4. Using 5 x small heat proof dishes, approximately 50ml capacity, spray with canola oil spray and then line with enough plastic wrap to wrap around the end result.
5. Pour the fig paste into the dishes until they are 2mm from the rim.
6. Fold the plastic wrap over the top of the paste and place the bowls into the refrigerator to set for 24 hours.
7. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Serve with various cheeses and good bread.